In this article, I'm walking through the complete step by step procedures on Migrating from SharePoint 2003 to MOSS 2007 using database attach method.
How to migrate SharePoint 2003 to SharePoint 2007? Migrating from SPS2003 to SharePoint 2007 on Database attachment method involves the below 4 tasks.
- Run PreScan.exe in SPS 2003 server.
- Take the back up of content database of SharePoint Portal Server 2003.
- Restore the content databases back up on SQL Server of MOSS 2007.
- Create web application in MOSS 2007.
- Attach the SPS 2003 databases to MOSS 2007.
1. Run Prescan.exe in SPS 2003 Server
- Download & Run the prescan.exe as below in command prompt:
- To resolve issues follow the reference: http://blogs.technet.com/b/wbaer/archive/2006/12/22/prescan-errors-what-they-mean.aspx
2. Take the Content Database Backup from SPS 2003
4. In the SQL Server Backup dialog box, specify a name for the backup, select Database - complete, select an existing destination, and then Click OK to start the backup process.
5. Repeat these steps to back up the databases that are used by SharePoint Portal Server 2003 in your environment,
3. Restore the back up on MOSS 2007's SQL Server:
- Open the SQL Server Management studio, traverse to “Databases” node. Then right click the “Databases” and choose “Restore Database…” from the context menu.
- Click “OK” to start the restore operation and Wait for the restore to complete! The time of restoring database depends upon the database size and server’s capacity.
Once the migration from SharePoint 2003 to SharePoint 2007 is completed, set the database compatibility level to the recent version in SQL Server.
4. Create web application in MOSS 2007
- In the SharePoint Central Administration, click on “Application Management” and click on “Create or extend Web application” under “SharePoint Web Application Management”.
- Again click on “Create Web application”. Set the settings according to the needs say http://migration.CompanyName.com
- Don’t create any site collection.
- Install & Copy the solutions, file system changes (like images, themes) from SPS 2003 to MOSS 2007 servers.
Now, we need to delete the content db of the newly created web application in order to avoid any URL conflicts. Run the below stsadm command:
5. Attach restored database with the newly created web application in MOSS 2007
Unit Test:We are done with SharePoint 2003 to SharePoint 2007 migration! Browse the migrated sites in MOSS 2007 and check their look& feel and functionality.
Migrate from MOSS 2007 to SharePoint 2010 - Step by Step
You might also like:
SharePoint Usage Reports
Usage reports, collaboration and audit for SharePoint.
Document SharePoint Farm
Automatically generate SharePoint documentation.