Another day, when I had to do a troubleshooting on a client environment, I was searching for a tool which can provide me the bird's eye view on SharePoint environment. Found one: SpsFarmReport. SPSFarmReport can be used to gather farm related information on environments where Wss/MOSS/SharePoint 2010 is installed.
- How many servers exist in the farm?
- What services are run by each server in your farm? Which server is the Query/Indexer?
- Which server(s) host(s) the Central Administration web site in the farm?
- How many SSPs exist in the farm?
- Which is the default SSP in the farm?
- What is the URL of the administration site of an SSP?
- What is the URL of the My Site provider of an SSP?
- What Web applications are associated with each SSP?
- Which application pool is associated with each web application in the farm?
- Which account is used to run a specific application pool?
- How many content databases are associated with each web application and how many site collections does each have?
- What AAMs are configured for each web application?
I find it very useful when you’re troubleshooting a medium/large server farm environment not knowing which services are run where.
download from the URL: http://spsfarmreport.codeplex.com/
another nice tool in this category: http://spdocgen.codeplex.com/
You might also like:
SharePoint Usage Reports
Usage reports, collaboration and audit for SharePoint.
Document SharePoint Farm
Automatically generate SharePoint documentation.