Out-of-the-box SharePoint doesn't provide a way to cascade drop downs in list forms. Luckily, jQuery provides a way to implement cascading drop downs in SharePoint list forms. Here is the step by step implementation guide:
We need to have two more lists to implement this. Lets say:
List 1: Parent list, say: Country
List 2: Child list, say: Cities
List 3: Our target list, where we are going to implement the Cascading drop down.
1. Download the jquery-1.3.2.min.js by Jquery.com, from the below link
2. Download spservices (jquery.SPServices-0.5.6.min.js) from the codeplex link
3. After downloading upload these two files in a document library
4. In SharePoint Designer, create your own NewForm.aspx (and EditForm.aspx)
Insert the following code: Just below
<asp:Content ContentPlaceHolderId="PlaceHolderMain" runat="server">
- relationshipList: “Cities” : this is the name of the relationsship list = the list containing parent and child
- relationshipListParentColumn: “Country” : Column name from the Cities list
- relationshipListChildColumn: “Title” : Column name from the Cities list
- parentColumn: “Country”: Column name from the list where the drop down is = Vacation Plans
- childColumn: “City”: Column name from the list where the drop down is = Vacation Plans
Cascading drop down example- What you will get as output is:
You might also like:
SharePoint Usage Reports
Usage reports, collaboration and audit for SharePoint.
Document SharePoint Farm
Automatically generate SharePoint documentation.