Adding users to SharePoint site is a frequent activity for SharePoint site owners. Users can be added either to any existing SharePoint group or directly under site permissions. Lets see how to add users in SharePoint site.
How to Add Users to SharePoint
2. Click on Site Actions > Site Permissions
3. Select the SharePoint Group to which you want to add users. By default, SharePoint sites comes with these user groups:
- Owners with Full Control Permissions.
- Members with Contribute Permissions
- Visitors with Read Only
4. Click on New and Select Add Users ADS\username) or ADS group names of the people or groups you want to add (separated by semicolons). You can use "Browse" button to search and select the user names.
5. To check the accuracy of the user names you added, click the Check Names icon.
6. Now after clicking Ok, you could able to see user name added with the permission, we specified. This is how we add users to SharePoint group.
Add User to SharePoint Group using PowerShell:
You can also add users to SharePoint group using PowerShell. Say, You want to add an user to "Marketing Members" group of "Marketing Site collection", Here is how:
Set-SPUser -Identity "domain\user" -Web "http://sharepoint.crescent.com/sites/marketing" -Group "Marketing Owners"
Adding Users Directly to Site Permissions
Its a best practice to add users to a group instead of adding them directly. However, if needed you can grant access to SharePoint users directly.
1. To add users to SharePoint 2010 site directly: Under the Edit tab, click on Grant Permissions from the ribbon.
2. In the Users/group field, enter the user's Account name or email address
3. Choose the permissions you wish the user to have under Give Permission, and then click on OK.
PowerShell Script to Grant Direct User Permission:
#Variables $WebURL = "https://sharepoint.crescent.com" $UserID="Crescent\Salaudeen" $PermissionLevel="Read" Set-SPUser -Identity $UserID -Web $WebURL -AddPermissionLevel $PermissionLevel
You might also like:
SharePoint Usage Reports
Usage reports, collaboration and audit for SharePoint.
Document SharePoint Farm
Automatically generate SharePoint documentation.