Requirement: We have a announcement list in Top level site of a SharePoint 2013 site collection and wanted it to appear on each subsite!
Solution: Requirements to show Lists/Libraries from Root site to Sub-site or Sub-site to Root site is quite common. In short, the solution idea is: Export the List view web part to web part gallery (so that its stored on root site's web part gallery) and insert the web part to subsite pages wherever required. Here comes the detailed steps.
Step 1: Export the Source List View Web Part using SharePoint Designer 2013
- Open your Site in SharePoint Designer, Navigate to Lists and Libraries node in the left navigation tree view. Click on the All Items view to open it in SharePoint designer.
- Go to Insert Tab, Click on Dataview and choose your Source List from the dropdown.
- Now click on Web Parts tab, Click on To Site Gallery button from the ribbon.
- Provide a Name and description to the web part you export and click on OK.
- You'll get a prompt: "Do you want this Web Part to always show list data from the current web site? If you select No, the web part will show data from the list at the path your list location, relative to the site in which it is used." Confirm "Yes" to the prompt.
Step 2: Insert the Web Part to Target Page(s):
- Go to your Subsite (or target site), Click on Site Settings gear, Choose Edit Page
- Under Insert Tab, Click on Web Part
- Navigate to Miscellaneous tab, pick the web part you exported in step 1, and insert it to relevant section of your page.
You might also like:
SharePoint Usage Reports
Usage reports, collaboration and audit for SharePoint.
Document SharePoint Farm
Automatically generate SharePoint documentation.