Most of the people knows Microsoft SharePoint as a File Share, But apart from File Share, there are number ways SharePoint is being used by organizations. Here is the list of top 50 use cases in my experience:
- Document Management System
- File Shares
- Content Management System
- Enterprise Search Centre (Search site to index and search all sites, including non-SharePoint sites of the company)
- Enterprise Social Networking Site - Yammer!
- Corporate News Portal-Intranet-Extranet-Internet web Sites
- Project Management tool (with or without project server integration)
- Team Collaboration work space
- Employee Self-Service portal - Employee requests center
- Business process Automation/Workflows – BPM E.g. Expense Reimbursement, Travel Request
- Event Management - Party!
- Knowledge Base - KB sites
- Issue/bug Tracker system
- Reporting Tool - SSRS!
- Task Management
- Calendar Sharing - Corporate Calendars with important events and schedules
- Help desk management - Ticketing system
- Incident/Change Management - as part of process!
- Learning / Training Management, Competency management, Training Scheduling and Materials
- Innovation Management
- Blog Sites - Wiki sites
- Community Portal
- Electronic Forms to capture and process data - InfoPath!
- Performance/Goal tracker tool
- Organizational Browser – People directory!
- Personal sites- My site!
- Business Performance Reporting - MIS
- Case Management
- Inventory Tracking
- Competitive Analysis Site
- Discussion Forums
- Invoice Management
- Request/ Change Management
- Employee Activities Site - Associations– E.g. Sports League, Toast Master
- Request for Proposal
- Process Management, Policies and Procedure Templates
- Room and Equipment Reservations
- Physical Asset Tracking and Management
- Job Requisition and Interview Management
- Contacts Management
- Leave Request and Vacation Schedules
- Records / Document Life cycle management
- Business Intelligence Tool
- Meeting Management
- Dashboards & Scorecards Solutions
- Visio Process Repository
- Digital Assets Management - Image management
- Vendor & Customer management
- Portfolio management
You might also like:
SharePoint Usage Reports
Usage reports, collaboration and audit for SharePoint.
Document SharePoint Farm
Automatically generate SharePoint documentation.