Lookup columns are used to get its value from a field in an another list in SharePoint sites. Lookup fields also provides a relationship between lists/libraries. Is it possible to create a lookup column from list on another site? sure, use site columns, so that you can utilize SharePoint 2013 lookup column from an different site!
SharePoint Site column Hierarchy:
Create Cross-Site Lookup Site Column in SharePoint:
Why to create Lookup as Site column? Because, If its created as a site column, it can be used at any subsite under the site collection while the lookup source list is at the parent site (or root site)! In short, create your lookup site column at parent site, so that it can be used on any underlying subsites of the site collection!
Assuming, you have an existing list with all available lookup values in a "Single Line of Text" column, Here is how to create a cross site lookup site column in SharePoint 2013:
- Go to the root level site of your SharePoint site collection. Navigate to Settings >> Click on "Site Columns" link
- In Site columns page, Click on "Create" link
- Provide Name, Column type, Group, Source List, Source Column values. Click on "OK" button once done.
- Navigate to your sub-site list >> Click on List settings >> Click on "Add from existing site columns" link
- Choose the site column group in which you placed your site column, Select and Add the column, Click on "OK" button once done.
- Now, In your sub-site list, You have the site column ready!
You might also like:
SharePoint Usage Reports
Usage reports, collaboration and audit for SharePoint.
Document SharePoint Farm
Automatically generate SharePoint documentation.