How to create a Custom Theme in MOSS 2007?
What is SharePoint theme?
A theme in Office SharePoint Server is a set of fonts, colors, graphics, and other decorative elements that provide a consistent appearance to your site. A site comes with a set of themes that enable you to quickly change the appearance, based on your organization’s needs.
Here are the steps if you want to create your own theme in SharePoint:
Step 1: Copy the Existing Theme:
1. Log in to your WFE(s) and browse to the following folder: “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\THEMES”
2. Copy the folder that corresponds with your theme. say for e.g. “Classic” folder.
3. Paste this into this same THEMES folder, Rename this folder to MyTheme.
Step 2: Edit the .INF file inside the Custom Theme folder
1. Rename the .INF file within the MyTheme folder to MyTheme.INF
2. Search and Replace the “Classic” with “MyTheme” inside the MyTheme.inf file
Step 3: Edit the SPTHEMES.XML file
Open “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server extensions\12\TEMPLATE\LAYOUTS\1033\SPTHEMES.XML” file with notepad.
Add the following lines underneath the tag:
<Templates> <TemplateID>MyTheme</TemplateID> <DisplayName> MyTheme </DisplayName> <Description> MyTheme has Green background </Description> <Thumbnail>images/tmbMyTheme.gif</Thumbnail> <Preview>images/tmbMyTheme.gif</Preview> </Templates>
- Modify the CSS within MyTheme folder to personalize your theme.
- Run iisreset from the command prompt
- Apply the new theme