In SharePoint servers, some of the SharePoint, IIS, SQL Server folders should be excluded from anti-virus protection in order to avoid performance hits!
such as: (C:\ may be other drive as well)
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Logs
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Data.
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Bin
- C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office Servers\14.0\Synchronization Service,
- C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Local Settings\Temp,
There are many First party/third party products offers Antivirus plug-in for SharePoint:
For SharePoint 2013, Exclude these folders from Anti-Virus: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/952167