I was trying to setup a virtual environment for SharePoint 2010 in my 64-bit laptop running Windows XP. So I downloaded the Oracle virtual Box, created a 20 GB image, installed Windows server 2008, SQL Server 2008, and other things needed by SharePoint 2010. Finally, I installed SharePoint 2010 on the virtual box.
Ah… Here is the big mistake I have committed. You know what? I allotted only 20 GB for the virtual box HDD image(VDI). I could not extend my hard disk. Now I’m running out of space.
So, Now I need additional space in my Virtual HDD badly. I tried many tools, like Norton Ghost to back up and restore to a newly created image with 40 GB. but nothing worked for me.
Finally, Here is how I solved the issue:
- Create a new image, say for e.g. SharePoint2010.vdi with 40 GB space.
- Now go to: C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox, and execute this command: VBoxManage clonehd –existing “D:\VirtualBox\Windows 2008.vdi” “D:\VirtualBox\SharePoint2010.vdi”
- This will clone the existing image Windows 2008.vdi with 20 GB space to SharePoint2010.vdi which has 40 GB Space.
- Attach the newly created VDI file to the virtual box.
- That’s all. You are done.