I was doing a SharePoint 2007 SP3 upgrade, After installing the binaries, I ran SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard.
The wizard runs through and then gets stuck on “Performing configuration task 8 of 9”. It hung for 8 hours! I looked in the upgrade.log, The log was full of thousands of “SyncUpgradeTimerJob: sleeping for 10 seconds” messages.
Here is what I did to fix:
- Killed the wizard first!
- Stopped and set the start up type as manual for these services in services.msc console.
- World wide web service
- Microsoft Single Sign-on Service
- Windows SharePoint Services Search
- Restarted “SharePoint SharePoint Services Timer” and “Windows SharePoint services Administration” Services
- Then tried upgrading from the command line
psconfig.exe -cmd upgrade -inplace b2b -force
command executed in 30 min and upgraded successfully! Refer this link to Troubleshoot common Errors during patching: https://support.microsoft.com/kb/944267