That’s the expected behavior! When Workflows configured to start on Item creation, They’ll start as soon as you upload a new document and will not wait until you enter Meta-data. In fact, the Metadata page is an Edit form!
Alright, How to Mitigate this issue?
- Change the workflow trigger from “Item Creation” to “Item Change” if possible. If you want to check whether the document is newly created, Just compare the Created & Modified fields. They’ll be the same when you upload a document for the first time.
- At the beginning of Your workflows, including the logic to check whether the metadata values are present. If not, Just wait for the metadata to set or end up the workflow.
- Alternatively, you can set the default values for your metadata fields, so that they will not be empty.
- You can set the “Require content to be checked out” option so that the workflow will not run until you enter the mandatory fields and check-in.
- Using a Pause action may work (e.g. pause for 5 min) which I don’t recommend, however!