How to Add Users to SharePoint Site and Grant Permissions?
Adding users to SharePoint site is a frequent activity for SharePoint site owners. Users can be added either to any existing SharePoint group or directly under site permissions. Lets see how to add users in SharePoint site.
How to Add Users to SharePoint?
To add users to SharePoint 2010 site:
1. Log-in to your SharePoint site with Site owner (or with more) permission.
2. Click on Site Actions > Site Permissions
3. Select the SharePoint Group to which you want to add users. By default, SharePoint sites comes with these user groups:
- Owners with Full Control Permissions.
- Members with Contribute Permissions
- Visitors with Read Only
4. Click on New and Select Add Users ADS\username) or ADS group names of the people or groups you want to add (separated by semicolons). You can use the “Browse” button to search and select the user names.
5. To check the accuracy of the user names you added, click the Check Names icon.
6. Now after clicking Ok, you can see the user name added with the permission we specified. This is how we add users to the SharePoint group.
Add User to SharePoint Group using PowerShell:
You can also add users to the SharePoint group using PowerShell. Say, You want to add a user to the “Marketing Members” group of “Marketing Site collection”, Here is how:
Set-SPUser -Identity "domain\user" -Web "https://sharepoint.crescent.com/sites/marketing" -Group "Marketing Owners"
Adding Users Directly to Site Permissions
It’s a best practice to add users to a group instead of adding them directly. However, if needed you can grant access to SharePoint users directly.
1. To add users to SharePoint 2010 site directly: Under the Edit tab, click on Grant Permissions from the ribbon.
2. In the Users/group field, enter the user’s Account name or email address
3. Choose the permissions you wish the user to have under Give Permission and then click on OK.
Users will receive a welcome mail based on the selection.
PowerShell Script to Grant Direct User Permission:
Here is the PowerShell to add user permission
Add-PSSnapin Microsoft.SharePoint.PowerShell -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue #Parameters $WebURL = "https://intranet.crescent.com" $UserID="Crescent\Charles" $PermissionLevel="Read" #Get the Web $Web = Get-SPWeb $WebURL $User = $web.EnsureUser($UserID) #Grant Permission to User Set-SPUser -Identity $User -Web $WebURL -AddPermissionLevel $PermissionLevel
2 thoughts on “How to Add Users to SharePoint Site and Grant Permissions?”
Here you go: How to Add User To SharePoint Programmatically