The web server process that was being debugged has been terminated by Internet Information Services (IIS)
While debugging a SharePoint object model code in Visual Studio, Got this error message: “The web server process that was being debugged has been terminated by Internet Information Services (IIS). This can be avoided by configuring Application Pool ping settings in IIS. See help for further details.”
IIS performs health monitoring by pinging worker processes to ensure they are up and running. IIS will terminate any worker process that does not respond to a ping request within the specified response time. So when the code execution is at a break-point in debugging mode and does not resume within the default response time of 90 seconds, IIS forcefully terminates the process and detaches the debugger.
To fix this error, increase the Ping Maximum Response Time of the application pool in IIS. Following steps:
- Go to Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager. (RUN >> InetMgr)
- Expand the server tree , choose Application Pools.
- Choose the Application Pool corresponding to your IIS website (usually it has the same name as your IIS website)
- In Right side Property Pane choose Advanced Settings. (or right-click the name of the pool your application runs in, and then click Advanced Settings. )
- Under the Process Model section, change “Ping Maximum Response Time (seconds)” to a higher value.
(E.g. I have set the value to 300 seconds which is 5 minutes). Alternatively, you can also set the Ping Enabled property to False.
Now, re-attach the W3WP process from Visual Studio, you should not get the error message!