Image Maps in HTML defines clickable areas in Images. You can specify a list of areas (or hot spots) that will be used as the links within an image. We can create an image map for any classifications such as frequently accessed items/region/department, etc.
Lets see how to create an Image map using SharePoint designer 2010:
- Open your SharePoint site in SharePoint Designer, Create a new HTML page.
- Insert >> Picture >> Choose your image from SharePoint site for Image map.
- Click on the picture. Now from the ribbon, Click on the Format tab, Click on the Hotspot Icon and choose the relevant Shape for your clickable region in the image.
- Select the clickable region by drawing the shape on the image. Once done, you’ll get the prompt to enter Link URL.
- Once done with all clickable regions, Go to “Code View” of SharePoint designer and copy the code from <P> tag to <P> tag as in the below image
- Go to your SharePoint page, Edit and Insert a Content Editor Web Part. Insert the HTML code copied from SharePoint designer via “Edit HTML Source”
- Save and Publish the changes.
That’s all, We’ve created image map in SharePoint Designer! You can do it for any image by defining clickable areas.
BTW, SharePoint image maps can be created without SharePoint Designer as well! There are plenty of tools to create image maps.