Problem: Got this error when trying to open an Excel Sheet stored in a SharePoint 2010 document library: “This workbook cannot be opened because it is not stored in an Excel services application trusted location. To create an Excel Services Application trusted location, contact your system administrator”.
By default, Excel Services allows browser rendering on Workbooks in “Trusted location”. Add your SharePoint library/site/webapp URL to Excel services trusted file location to eliminate this issue. Here is how to create excel services trusted location:
- Navigate to SharePoint 2010 Central Administration site
- Under Application Management, Click on Manage Service applications
- Select “Excel Services Application” and click on “Manage”
- Click on “Trusted File Locations” and then Click on “Add Trusted File Location”
- Enter the URL of your SharePoint web app/site/library and choose “Trust Children”
- Click “OK” to save your configuration changes.
Now, your Excel sheet should render without any issue.
Technet Reference: Manage Excel Services trusted location – https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff191194.aspx. It’s also possible to manage trusted locations using PowerShell. Here is the reference: Excel Services cmdlets