When trying to filter a list with large items, got this error message: “Cannot show the value of the filter. The field may not be filterable, or the number of items returned exceeds the list view threshold enforced by the administrator”
Identified that the particular list has more than 25,000 rows in it. Filter fails as it exceeds the default threshold value configured.
As the error message says: Your SharePoint Administrator got to update the Resource throttling threshold values from SharePoint 2010/2013 Central Administration site. Here are the steps to increase the ‘List View Threshold’ value:
- Open SharePoint 2010 Central Administration site
- Go to Application Management’ >> Manage Web Applications
- Choose the web application in which you want to make the changes
- Now from the ribbon, Click on ‘General Settings >> Resource Throttling
- In the resource throttling page, increase the “List View Threshold” value from 5000 to large number (say: 15000)
Please note, You may face performance issues if you increase the throttling threshold values! To avoid consider:
- You can set predefined filters via “Modify list view” page and mitigate this issue.
- You can archive old list items either to a new list or a folder inside the same list.
Another Case: If its a People picker column, Set it to “People Only” instead of “People and Groups”