Top 50 Use Cases of SharePoint in the Industry
Most people know Microsoft SharePoint as a File Share, But apart from File Share, there are a number of ways organizations are using SharePoint. Here is the list of top 50 use cases in my experience:
- Document Management System
- File Shares
- Content Management System
- Enterprise Search Center (Search site to index and search all sites, including non-SharePoint sites of the company)
- Enterprise Social Networking Site – Yammer!
- Corporate News Portal-Intranet-Extranet-Internet web Sites
- Project Management tool (with or without project server integration)
- Team Collaboration work space
- Employee Self-Service portal – Employee requests center
- Business process Automation/Workflows – BPM E.g. Expense Reimbursement, Travel Request
- Event Management – Party!
- Knowledge Base – KB sites
- Issue/bug Tracker system
- Reporting Tool – SSRS!
- Task Management
- Calendar Sharing – Corporate Calendars with important events and schedules
- Help desk management – Ticketing system
- Incident/Change Management – as part of process!
- Learning / Training Management, Competency management, Training Scheduling and Materials
- Innovation Management
- Blog Sites – Wiki sites
- Community Portal
- Electronic Forms to capture and process data – InfoPath!
- Performance/Goal tracker tool
- Organizational Browser – People directory!
- Personal sites- My site!
- Business Performance Reporting – MIS
- Case Management
- Inventory Tracking
- Competitive Analysis Site
- Discussion Forums
- Invoice Management
- Request/ Change Management
- Employee Activities Site – Associations- E.g. Sports League, Toast Master
- Request for Proposal
- Process Management, Policies and Procedure Templates
- Room and Equipment Reservations
- Physical Asset Tracking and Management
- Job Requisition and Interview Management
- Contacts Management
- Leave Request and Vacation Schedules
- Records / Document Life cycle management
- Business Intelligence Tool
- Meeting Management
- Dashboards & Scorecards Solutions
- Visio Process Repository
- Digital Assets Management – Image management
- Vendor & Customer management
- Portfolio management
2 thoughts on “Top 50 Use Cases of SharePoint in the Industry”
Some of the Items in the list are good use cases for SharePoint like Document Center, File Share, Enterprise search which are default Outof the Box
and some of the features like, expense management, room reservation either need a decent supported add-in or need custom development,
But Overall , it comes with Microsoft Email licenses, so no extra costs and hence there is no harm in using it!
Great, wonderful. I’ve been looking for s simple and straightforward list as this one. And then I found you. Thank you for posting. Thank you Bing for letting me here. Tahnk you myseld, for allowinf me to search, be patient, discover, read and understand this wonderful list by a wonderful author. Oh wonderful us people.