How to Remove Content Database in SharePoint using PowerShell?
SharePoint content databases are the most important artifacts in the SharePoint platform as they hold the majority of the data. However, we may have to delete the content database from SharePoint at times. Here is how you can utilize PowerShell to delete the database:
How to delete a content database in central administration?
Login as a Farm administrator and follow these steps to delete a content database in central administration.
- Go to SharePoint Central Administration >> Application Management >> Manage Content Databases in the Databases section
- Select the web application from the dropdown menu and click on the name of the content database.
- In the Manage Content Database Settings page, select the “Remove content database” check box. Confirm the prompt and click on OK to delete a content database in SharePoint.
This detaches and removes the association of the content database from SharePoint. However, the content database still exists in SQL Server. If you want to remove the content database permanently, you must manually remove it from SQL Server as well. Just Open SQL Server Management Studio, From the list of Content Databases, find the one that needs to be deleted, Right-click, and delete! That’s all!!
SharePoint 2013: Remove content database using PowerShell
To delete a content database from SharePoint, use: Remove-SPContentDatabase cmdlet, which removes the content database from the SharePoint web application and deletes it from the SQL Server also.
Syntax: Get-SPContentDatabase -Identity "ContentDB-Name" | Remove-SPContentDatabase E.g. Get-SPContentDatabase -Identity "SP10_Intranet_Content02" | Remove-SPContentDatabase
This deletes the SharePoint Content database from SharePoint and SQL Server permanently! As stated, use: Dismount-SPContentDatabase cmdlet if you want to remove the database from SharePoint alone!
- To add content database in SharePoint using PowerShell, refer: How to Create a New Content Database in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell?
- How to Find and remove unused content databases in SharePoint: Find and Delete Unused Orphan Databases in SharePoint
3 thoughts on “How to Remove Content Database in SharePoint using PowerShell?”
but how can I delete the configuration, user profile & content database from sql server alone ?
Can i simply right click on the configuration database & make a delete?
If your SharePoint Farm is decommissioned – Yes! You can do so.
appreciated, thank you