How to Create a Cross-Site Lookup Site Column in SharePoint 2013?
Lookup columns are used to get their value from a field in another list in SharePoint sites. Lookup fields also provide a relationship between lists/libraries. Could I create a lookup column from the list on another site? Sure, use site columns so that you can utilize SharePoint 2013 lookup column from a different site!
SharePoint Site column Hierarchy:
Create Cross-Site Lookup Site Column in SharePoint:
Why create Lookup as a Site column? Because, If it’s created as a site column, it can be used at any subsite under the site collection while the lookup source list is at the parent site (or root site)! In short, create your lookup site column at the parent site so that it can be used on any underlying subsites of the site collection!
Assuming you have an existing list with all available lookup values in a “Single Line of Text” column, Here is how to create a cross-site lookup site column in SharePoint 2013:
- Go to the root level site of your SharePoint site collection. Navigate to Settings >> Click on the “Site Columns” link
- On the Site columns page, Click on the “Create” link
- Provide the Name, Column type, Group, Source List, Source Column values. Click on the “OK” button once done.
- Navigate to your subsite list >> Click on List settings >> Click on the “Add from existing site columns” link
- Choose the site column group in which you placed your site column, Select and Add the column, click on the “OK” button once done.
- Now, In your subsite list, You have the site column ready!
5 thoughts on “How to Create a Cross-Site Lookup Site Column in SharePoint 2013?”
I did the same in SharePoint Online, but does not work.
Any idea how to fix this ?
This column current site, to another site is not see…
Just a note that this solution works in SharePoint, but the lookup column does not show us in PowerApps.
Do you know if this works if the list with the column you want to reference is not at the root of the SharePoint site but in an other sub-site?
Only if the Site that has the column is a parent of the Site you want to use the Site Column in.