How to Create a SharePoint Group?
In SharePoint, groups are an important aspect of managing permissions and controlling access to site resources. By creating a group, you can easily manage a set of users and assign them the appropriate permissions and access levels for specific site resources. In this article, we will explore how to create a group in SharePoint step-by-step.
It’s a best practice to assign permissions to groups and add users to those groups, rather than granting permission directly. You can create new groups if the default groups do not suit your needs. Let’s see how to create new SharePoint groups:
Create a New Group in SharePoint 2016:
In SharePoint, groups can be used to manage permissions and access to site resources. Creating a group in SharePoint is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps. To create a new SharePoint group, follow these steps:
- Login to the site where the group needs to be created.
- From the home page, click on the Settings gear icon and choose Site Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Site Permissions under the users and permissions section.
- Click on Create Group icon from the ribbon.
- Give a Name of the group and Description on the Create group page
- You can assign a group owner or add an additional group owner Optionally. The owner will be able to edit group membership. Select who can view the membership of the group and who can edit group members.
- Select the appropriate setting for membership requests.
- Select the appropriate permission levels(s) for the group. Any permissions selected here will apply to the entire site.
The new SharePoint group will be created, and you will be taken to the People and Groups page, where you can start adding users to the group created. You can set its permissions by clicking on the group name and then selecting “Settings” from the ribbon at the top of the page. You can manage the group’s membership, permissions, and settings from here.
Following the steps outlined in this article, you can create a new group and manage its permissions and settings to control access to site resources. To add a SharePoint user group with PowerShell, use: How to create a SharePoint group using PowerShell?
2 thoughts on “How to Create a SharePoint Group?”
Can you add an Active Directory group to a SharePoint (2016) group? We had them when using SharePoint 2010.
Yes, We can!