It is best practice to assign permissions to groups and add users to those groups rather than granting permission directly. If the default groups do not suit your needs, you can create new groups.
Lets see how to create new SharePoint 2013 groups.
Create a New Group in SharePoint 2016:
- Login to the site where the group needs to be created
- From the home page, click on Settings gear icon and choose Site Settings from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Site Permissions under users and permissions section.
- Click on Create Group icon from the ribbon.
- Give a Name of the group and Description on the Create group page
- You can assign group owner or add an additional group owner Optionally. The owner will be able to edit group membership. Select who can view membership of the group and who can edit group members.
- Select the appropriate setting for membership requests.
- Select the appropriate permission levels(s) for the group. Any permissions selected here will apply to the entire site.
The new SharePoint group will be created and you will be taken to the People and Groups page where you can start adding users to the group created.
Related post: How to create a SharePoint group using PowerShell