Requirement: Add Enterprise Keywords in SharePoint Online.
What is “Enterprise Keywords” in SharePoint Online?
Enterprise keyword columns help to tag an Item in lists and libraries to make searching and finding them easier. Keywords entered in lists and libraries are centrally stored and synchronized in the term store automatically. So, when a keyword is added to any of the Enterprise Keywords column, It can be reused in all other lists and libraries in the tenant. When a user starts typing a similar word in any list or library, it will be auto-suggested.
How to enable enterprise keywords in SharePoint Online?
To add an enterprise keywords field to a list or library, do the following:
- Navigate to the list or library where you want to enable the Enterprise keywords column.
- Go to List or Library Settings >> Click on the “Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings” link from the settings page under the “Permissions and Management” section.
- In the Enterprise Keywords section on the Enterprise Metadata and Keywords Settings page, Tick the check box next to the “Add an Enterprise Keywords column to This List and Enable Keyword Synchronization”, and then click the OK button to apply changes.
Now the “Enterprise Keywords” column has been added to the library!
Tag Documents with Keywords:
Once the enterprise keywords settings are enabled, the next step is tagging documents and items. You can tag documents as you edit any other metadata properties by going to the “Details” pane and editing “Properties”. You can also use the Quick Edit view to add enterprise keywords to a document.
Manage Enterprise Keywords:
SharePoint collects the enterprise keywords to a special, non-hierarchical term set called “Keywords” under the Term Store Management Tool. If you need to edit the keywords, Make sure you have Term Store Administrator permissions,
- Login to SharePoint Online Admin Center >> Click on the “term store” link in the left navigation.
- Expand “System” >> “Keywords” node, and you can edit any Enterprise keyword.
To disable the Enterprise Keywords column in a list or library, remove the column from the list! Navigate to List Settings >> Click on the Enterprise Keywords column >> Hit Delete Button. This eliminates the Enterprise column and all its data from the list.
In conclusion, enabling Enterprise Keywords in SharePoint Online is a straightforward process that requires a few simple steps. Once the feature is enabled, it provides an easier way to organize and manage content in SharePoint. With Enterprise Keywords, you can add keywords to your content, making it easier to find and manage. Whether you’re a SharePoint administrator or a user, Enterprise Keywords can help you better manage and find the content you need, making it easier to work more efficiently.