Requirement: Customize the search drop down by adding a new search scope in SharePoint Online.
How to Customize the Search Navigation in SharePoint Online?
The default search drop-down has the below options:
- This Site
We need a new custom scope (drop-down option) to the search drop down to be added. This document outlines How to add a link to the search drop down to redirect to the custom search center.
SharePoint Online: Configure Search Navigation
Here is how to add a link to search drop down – Step by Step:
- Login to the SharePoint Online site as a Site Collection Administrator. Click on the Settings gear and then select the Site Settings link from the menu.
- On the Site Settings Page, click on “Search Settings” under the Search group.
- On the Search Settings page, scroll to the “Configure Search Navigation” Section. Click on “Add Link” Hyperlink
- Enter the Title for the new search scope and URL (E.g. https://crescent.sharepoint.com/search/Pages/corporatedirectory.aspx) of the search center. Click on “OK” to close the popup page.
- You can move up/down, adjust other options in the dropdown. Click on “OK” to save your changes in the search settings page. Now, you should see the new option in the search drop-down!
Enter a search query and ensure the new search center results are served!