Requirement: Customize the search drop down by adding a new search scope in SharePoint Online.
How to Customize the Search Navigation in SharePoint Online?
The default search drop-down has the below options:
- This Site
We need a new custom scope (drop-down option) to the search drop down to be added. This document outlines How to add a link to the search drop down to redirect to the custom search center.
SharePoint Online: Configure Search Navigation
The search navigation in SharePoint Online helps users quickly find the information they need by providing a set of categories and links that are related to the search results.
Here is how to add a link to the search drop-down – Step by Step:
- Login to the SharePoint Online site as a Site Collection Administrator. Click on the Settings gear and then select the Site Settings link from the menu.
- On the Site Settings Page, click on “Search Settings” under the Search group.
- On the Search Settings page, scroll to the “Configure Search Navigation” Section. Click on “Add Link” Hyperlink
- Enter the Title for the new search scope and URL (E.g. https://crescent.sharepoint.com/search/Pages/corporatedirectory.aspx) of the search center. Click on “OK” to close the popup page.
- You can move up/down, adjust other options in the dropdown. Click on “OK” to save your changes in the search settings page. Now, you should see the new option in the search drop-down!
Enter a search query and ensure the new search center results are served!
In summary, configuring the search navigation in SharePoint Online is a simple process that can greatly improve the user experience and help users find the information they need more efficiently. By following the steps outlined in this article, administrators and site owners can easily configure the search navigation categories and links to meet the needs of their users.