SharePoint Online: Export Group Members to Excel
Requirement: Export SharePoint Online group members to Excel.
How to Export SharePoint Online Group Members to Excel?
SharePoint Groups are used to control access to sites, lists, libraries, and other resources. Have you ever wanted to export all members of a SharePoint Online group to Excel? In some cases, it may be necessary to export the members of a SharePoint Online group to Excel for further analysis or management. Or maybe you want to create a report or simply want to audit the SharePoint groups and their members or track changes to the membership over time. In this guide, I’ll walk you through the process of exporting group members to Excel without using PowerShell or any 3rd party tools. Here is how you can do that:
- Login to Site Collection >> Navigate to Site Settings.
- Click on the “People and Groups” link and pick the desired group to get group members. The URL should look like this: https://crescent.sharepoint.com/sites/marketing/_layouts/15/people.aspx?MembershipGroupId=4, We need the ID of the group to retrieve all members of a SharePoint Online group. The value of “MembershipGroupId” parameter is the ID of the group. In this case, its: 4
- Now frame the URL: (Replace YourTenant and GroupID values with yours) https://YOURTENANT.sharepoint.com/_api/Web/SiteGroups/getbyid(GROUPID)/Users
- Open Microsoft Excel >> under “Data” tab, Click “From OData Data Feed” link.
- Enter the URL you framed and click on “Next”. In my case it was: https://crescent.sharepoint.com/_api/Web/SiteGroups/getbyid(4)/Users
- In the data connection wizard, select the “Users” table and click on the Next button.
- Provide a name to your connection and click on the “Finish” button.
- Now, Excel pulls the data and populates the Excel sheet with all members of the group and their details, such as ID, Login Name, Title, Email, etc.
In summary, Exporting SharePoint Online group members to Excel is a simple process that can be done through the browser. By following the steps outlined in this article, administrators can easily export the members of a SharePoint Online group to an Excel spreadsheet for further analysis or management.
Alternatively, you can export group members using PowerShell. You will need to run a few lines of code to connect to your SharePoint Online site, retrieve the group members, and export them to an Excel file. Here is another post on PowerShell way to export members from all groups: SharePoint Online: Export Group Members to Excel using PowerShell
3 thoughts on “SharePoint Online: Export Group Members to Excel”
When I tried this I got this error while connecting from ODD feed:
OData: Request failed (404): The remote server returned an error: (404) Not Found. (Cannot find resource for the request $metadata.)
We have on premise hosted sharepoint. What could be the issue ?
muy practico, muchisimas gracias!!
thanks a lot, exactly what I was looking for!