Requirement: Create user profile property in SharePoint Online.
How to add new user profile property in SharePoint Online?
A SharePoint user profile is the collection of user properties that describes a single user. By default, SharePoint Online comes with a rich set of user profile properties, and some among them are linked with the attributes of Azure AD. You can manage the SharePoint Online user profile properties from the SharePoint Online admin center. Here is how to create a new user profile property in SharePoint Online.
- Login to SharePoint admin center as SharePoint Online Administrator at https://<tenant>-admin.sharepoint.com (Replace the “<Tenant>” with the name of your SharePoint Online tenant!)
- Click on “More features” from the left navigation.
- Click on the “Open” button under the “User profiles” section.
- On the manage profile page, click on the “Manage User Properties” link.
- Click on “New Property” which takes you to another page where you can add your custom user profile property.
- Specify the settings for your user profile property, such as Name, Display Name, User Description.
- Under the Policy Settings section, set if the field is required/optional, specify the privacy settings if this property value should be visible to everyone or only to the user. E.g. To be able to search, You should make the property available to “Everyone”. Set whether you want to allow the users to override these settings.
- In the Edit Settings section, you can select the option “Allow users to edit values for this property” if you would like to allow users to edit this property.
- Specify other settings like display Settings, Search, etc. as per your requirements. In Search, Settings make sure you select the “Indexed” option if you want this property to appear in search results.
- Property Mapping for Synchronization is disabled! So, we can’t set any mapping here (Sadly).
- Once you are done with the above, Click on OK to create a user profile property.
Once it’s created, you can go back to the “Manage user profile property” page to edit or delete your added user profile property.
Please note, although you can create a custom user profile property in SharePoint Online, You can not map it through the user profile service application page, as you do in SharePoint On-premises! Custom properties from Active Directory or Azure AD are not synchronized with SharePoint Online. If you need to sync a user profile property from Azure AD to SharePoint Online, Your only option is scheduled PowerShell script How to Sync a User Profile Property from Azure AD to SharePoint Online?
Want to create user profile property in SharePoint Online using PowerShell? As of today, there is no way to add new user profile property with PowerShell in SharePoint Online!