Requirement: Deploy an app to App Catalog in SharePoint Online.
How to add an App to SharePoint Online App Catalog Site?
The App Catalog is a centralized repository to manage and deploy custom apps in SharePoint. Apps (either SPFx .sppkg or Add-in .app file) to be uploaded and deployed there is a prerequisite to use them in all SharePoint Online sites of the tenant, instead of adding and deploying an app to each individual site collection in the tenant. To add an app to the SharePoint Online app catalog, follow these steps:
- Login to SharePoint Admin Center >> Click on “More features” >> Click on “Open” button under “Apps”
- Click on the “App Catalog” link to open the app catalog site (If the app catalog site is not created already, you’ll get a page to create!)
- Click on the “Apps for SharePoint” link in the left navigation of the app catalog site.
- Now, you can upload the app file by click on “Files” >> Upload Document >> Browse and select the SharePoint App. Here in my case, I’ve selected “pzl-script-editor.sppkg” for modern script editor web part functionality in SharePoint Online.
- Once uploaded, you’ll get a prompt to deploy the app. Once done, your custom app should be available to use for all sites in the tenant.
PnP PowerShell to Add an App to SharePoint Online App Catalog
We can use PnP PowerShell to deploy an app to SharePoint Online app catalog site. Here is the script:
#Parameters $AppCatalogURL = "https://crescent.sharepoint.com/sites/Apps" $AppFilePath = "C:\Temp\script-editor.sppkg" #Connect to SharePoint Online App Catalog site Connect-PnPOnline -Url $AppCatalogURL -UseWebLogin #Add App to App catalog $App = Add-PnPApp -Path $AppFilePath #Deploy App to the Tenant Publish-PnPApp -Identity $App.ID -Scope Tenant
Now, we’ve deployed a custom app to SharePoint Online app catalog. How about adding an app from SharePoint store to SharePoint App catalog?
Add an App from “SharePoint Store” to App Catalog:
Similarly, to add an app from SharePoint App Store to the app catalog site, do the following:
- Log in to your tenant App catalog site >> Click on Settings gear >> Add an App
- Click on “SharePoint Store” from the left navigation
- Search and pick the app from the marketplace. E.g. I’ve picked “Adobe Sign for SharePoint Online”
- Click on “Add IT” and follow the wizard to deploy the App to App catalog site.
Once you deployed either your custom app/3rd party app to the SharePoint Online app catalog, adding an app to a site is a straightforward process. You can create app instances in any site under the tenant by going to settings >> Add an app menu.
If your custom app contains any web part, you’ll get them on the edit page. Some custom apps extend the functionality and may not have web parts. Here how the app an app page looks like with the two apps we’ve deployed in my case.
To add an app to the SharePoint Online site, You need at-least site owner access rights. To add an app to SharePoint Online site, use: How to Add an App to SharePoint Online Site using PowerShell?