Requirement: Convert SharePoint Online Site to Microsoft Teams.
Microsoft Teams is a chat-based collaboration platform that brings together people, conversations, content, and tools to create a more open, digital environment. Every time you create a new team in Teams, you’re also creating a new Office 365 Group, Calendar, OneNote, Planner, SharePoint team site, etc., and ties into other Office 365 cloud applications. And for every channel you create in Teams, a folder within a SharePoint document library is automatically created.
How to migrate SharePoint Online Site to Teams?
You may have an existing SharePoint Online team site for a dedicated project or business function and using it to storing documents and communication and wants to take advantage of Microsoft Teams and here is how you can convert your existing SharePoint Online team sites into Microsoft Team so that the files from the existing document library can be accessed in Microsoft Teams.
Option 1: Create a Microsoft Team from an existing SharePoint site
When you create a new modern SPO site with Office 365 Group, You’ll see the Microsoft Teams prompt on the site home page.
- Navigate to the home page of the existing SharePoint Online team site >> Click on Create a team from the Microsoft Teams prompt in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- It spins the wheel with a “Creating Team” message for a while, and you’ll get a “Success! Click here to go to your Team” message Once your team is created. Clicking on it will take you to the Microsoft Teams app, and you can start collaborating with your new associated team. Also, it adds the “Teams” menu to SharePoint left navigation.
Option 2: Create Microsoft Teams from an existing SharePoint Site using Teams App
What if you have closed the “Create a Team” popup already in your SharePoint Site? Well, you can convert the SharePoint Online site to Teams with Microsoft Teams application. Here is how:
- Open Microsoft Teams Client application from your desktop >> Click on the “Join or create a team” link from the bottom of the Teams client application.
- Click on the “Create Team” button under Join or create a team page >> Choose “Create from…” An existing Office 365 group or team
- Click on “Office 365 group”
- Select the Office 365 group of your existing SharePoint site and then click on the “Create” button.
And your Teams should be ready shortly!
Option 3: Create Teams from SharePoint Online using PowerShell
We can migrate SharePoint Online site using PowerShell as well. Make sure you have Teams PowerShell module installed prior to running this script: How to Install Microsoft Teams PowerShell Module?
Import-Module Microsoft.Online.SharePoint.PowerShell -DisableNameChecking $AdminCenterURL = "https://crescent-admin.sharepoint.com" $SiteURL = "https://crescent.sharepoint.com/sites/legal" #Get Credentials to connect $Cred = Get-Credential #Connect to SharePoint Online Connect-SPOService -Url $AdminCenterURL -Credential $Cred #Connect to Microsoft Teams Connect-MicrosoftTeams -Credential $Cred #Get the Site collection $Site = Get-SPOSite -Identity $SiteURL #Create Teams from the SharePoint Site New-Team -GroupId $Site.GroupId.Guid