Requirement: Disable subsite creation in SharePoint Online.
How to disable subsites in SharePoint Online?
The traditional information architecture in SharePoint site collections and subsites is site collections have a top-level site and may have a number of sub-sites underneath. However, the recent recommendation from Microsoft is to avoid subsites and create site collections for different segments of your business and group related sites with Hub sites if needed. This is because you can manage site features such as permissions, storage, Add-ons, services, sharing, etc. at the site collection level. So, it’s a good idea to restrict the subsite creation option at the tenant level. You can turn off subsite creation from the SharePoint Online Admin Center.
- Login to SharePoint Online Admin Center >> Click on Settings
- On the settings page, under “Subsite creation” section, we’ve:
- Hide the Subsite command – Turning off SharePoint subsite creation on all sites
- Show the Subsite command only for classic sites – Turning on SharePoint subsite creation only on Classic sites
- Show the Subsite command for all sites – Turning on SharePoint subsite creation on all sites
Select “Hide the subsite command” and then click on the “Save” button at the bottom of the page to commit your changes. This disables the “subsite” option from the site contents page.
These changes could take some time to reflect. You can still group site collections using Hub Sites in SharePoint Online that allow you to connect multiple sites in one manageable structure without using subsites.