Requirement: Add a Video to a SharePoint Online page.
SharePoint Online: How to Add Videos to Modern Page?
SharePoint Online is a powerful tool for storing and sharing digital assets, and adding video to SharePoint Online pages is a common requirement! You can easily add videos to your SharePoint Online site to make it more engaging and dynamic. The options available for video embedding can vary depending on where you want to host the video. There are three ways to add videos to SharePoint Online’s modern page:
- Add YouTube video to SharePoint Online Page.
- Host the video in Microsoft Streams and Embed it on the SharePoint Online site.
- Use Embed Web Part to Add a Video to SharePoint Online.
Whichever method you choose, these videos can be played using adaptive streaming across all devices and web browsers. Adding video to SharePoint Online intranets is a great way to make your site more engaging and informative.
Option 1: How to Add YouTube video to SharePoint Online?
To add a video from YouTube to a SharePoint Online page, do the following:
- Navigate to your SharePoint Online modern page where you want to embed a YouTube video.
- Click on “Edit Page” from the top-right corner >> Mouse over and click on the “+” symbol to add a web part to the desired area of the page >> Choose “YouTube” from the web parts list.
- Once the web part has been added to the page, Select and edit the web part properties on the right-hand side of the page and configure options for your YouTube video. Simply copy-paste the YouTube Video link into the web part property.
- Republish the page to commit your changes.
Option 2: Embed Stream video in SharePoint Online
Stream is recommended over storing videos in SharePoint document libraries, as it is optimized for video experience and a dedicated video-sharing platform that integrates with SharePoint Online. You have to upload videos to Stream first, and then you can display them on modern site pages. Here is how to embed Microsoft Stream video to SharePoint Online:
- Login to Microsoft Steam at https://web.microsoftstream.com/ and upload your video (Or find the URL of the video you want to embed to the SharePoint page).
- Once uploaded, publish the video and then click on the “Share” button to get the link to your video.
- Now, go back to the page where you want to display the video. Edit the page and insert the “Stream” web part to it, and then insert the link you copied from Stream.
Your video will now be embedded in your content!
Option 3: Embed video in SharePoint Online Modern Page using Embed Code
With the Embed web part, You can embed videos from YouTube, Microsoft Stream, Video from SharePoint Online Document library, and even from any 3rd party external sites like Vimeo that support embed tags! All you have to do is: Obtain the “Embed” code from sites like YouTube, Vimeo, etc. and add it to the SharePoint Online page using the “Embed” webpart.
Here is how to get embed code from YouTube: Just right-click on the video and click on “Copy Embed code”
On Vimeo, You can grab the embed code by clicking on the “Share” button:
Microsoft Stream also provides embed code:
You can also embed a video from the SharePoint Online document library:
<iframe width="600" height="400" src="https://crescent.sharepoint.com/Videos/IntroductionToSPFx.mp4" allowfullscreen> </iframe>
Using File Viewer Web Part to Play Videos from SharePoint Document Library
Finally: You can use the “File Viewer” web part to play a video file from SharePoint Online libraries! Just upload the video file to any of your SharePoint sites document library or folder, and you can display it on the page using the File viewer web part by adding the video file URL to it.
Once the video has been added, it will appear on the page as a thumbnail. When you hover over the thumbnail, you will see an option to play the video. Other than the File viewer web part, the Quick links, hero web part, and highlighted content web part are also capable of displaying the thumbnail for the video links.