Requirement: Create an image slider in SharePoint Online.
How to create a Rotating Banner in SharePoint Online?
Now, in modern SharePoint Online, it’s a relatively easy task to implement scrolling banners. All you need to do is:
- Create news pages for the banner content.
- Edit your home page (or any modern page), Add “News” web part to the page
- Configure the web part properties to get the news pages and set the web part layout to “Carousel”.
- Optionally set other parameters such as the number of news posts to show, Automatically cycle news, Seconds between each slide.
- Save and publish the page.
Here is the News web part with Carousel layout:
How to Create Multiple News Carousels or Display Selective Pages in the News Web Part?
The above web part simply displays all available news pages in the selected site in News web part. However, there are times you may want to selectively display specific news pages in the news web part or display one slider for each category. So, here is the trick:
- Navigate to your “Site Pages” library from “Site Contents”
- Create a new column in the site pages library, let’s call it as “Category”. Set the dropdown values as per your requirement.
- Now, Edit the news pages, and under “Page Details”, You’ll see this category dropdown field. Classify the value accordingly.
- Finally, on the News web part properties, under the “Filters” section – Set the filter as “Page Properties” and select the property as “Category” (The one you had created on Site Pages library!), and set the filter value as per your requirement.
Here is how the multiple news carousels look like on a single page:
Last but not least: If you want to display just image carousel instead of clickable text banners, use: “Image Gallery Web Part”. Highlighted content web part has a carousel layout.