Requirement: Create an image slider (carousel) in SharePoint Online.
How to create a Rotating Banner in SharePoint Online?
Now, it’s a relatively easy task to implement scrolling banners in modern SharePoint Online. All you need to do is:
- Create news pages for the banner content. These pages will be displayed as a slideshow.
- Edit your home page (or any modern page), Add the “News” web part to the page
- Configure the web part properties to get the news pages and set the web part layout to “Carousel”.
- Optionally set other parameters such as the number of news posts to show, Automatically cycle news, and Seconds between each slide.
- Save and publish the page.
Here is the News web part with the Carousel layout:
How to Create Multiple News Carousels or Display Selective Pages in the News Web Part?
The above web part just displays all available news pages in the selected site in the News web part. However, sometimes you may want to display specific news pages selectively in the news web part or display one slider for each category. So, here is the trick:
- Navigate to your “Site Pages” library from “Site Contents”.
- Create a new column in the site pages library, let’s call it as “Category”. Set the dropdown values as per your requirement.
- Now, edit the news pages, and under “Page Details”, You’ll see this category dropdown field. Classify the value accordingly.
- Finally, on the News web part properties, under the “Filters” section – Set the filter as “Page Properties”, select the property as “Category” (The one you had created on Site Pages library!), and set the filter value as per your requirement.
Here is what the multiple news carousels look like on a single page:
Finally: If you want to display just an image carousel instead of clickable text banners, use: “Image Gallery Web Part”. Highlighted content web part has a carousel layout.