Problem: Sync button missing in SharePoint Online library.
How to Enable the Sync Button in SharePoint Online?
To enable the Sync button in SharePoint Online, we have to set the offline client availability of the Document library and site to “Yes”.
Step 1: Check the Sync Settings at the Site level
Sync configuration for all lists and libraries in the site is controlled by a site-level setting, “Offline Client Availability”. So, let us verify if it is enabled:
- Browse to the site >> Click on Settings >> Site Settings
- In site settings page, Click on “Search and offline availability”
- Set the option for “Offline Client Availability” to “Yes”.
- Click on “OK” on the bottom of the page to save your changes.
To set the “Offline Client Availability” use this PowerShell:
#Parameters $SiteURL = "https://Crescent.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing" #Connect to SharePoint Online site Connect-PnPOnline -Url $SiteURL -Interactive #Get the Web $Web = Get-PnPWeb -Includes ExcludeFromOfflineClient #Set "Allow items from this site to be downloaded to offline clients?" to "Yes" $web.ExcludeFromOfflineClient = $True $web.Update() Invoke-PnPQuery Write-Host "Offline Client Availability is Enabled!" -f Green
Step 2: Enable Sync for the Document Library
Follow these steps to enable the sync button for a document library,
- Go to the Library Settings >> Advanced Settings
- Set “Yes” for “Allow items from this document library to be downloaded to offline clients?” under “Offline Client Availability”.
- Click OK to save your changes.
That’s all. This enables Sync button for the library.
Turn-On Sync for a document library using PowerShell
#Parameters $SiteURL = "https://crescent.sharepoint.com/sites/Marketing" $ListName = "Branding" #Connect to PnP Connect-PnPOnline -url $SiteURL -Interactive #Get the Library $List = Get-PnPList $ListName #set Allow items from this document library to be downloaded to offline clients? $List.ExcludeFromOfflineClient = $False $List.Update() Invoke-PnPQuery
How about disabling Sync for a SharePoint Library? Well, you have to just perform the reverse! SharePoint Online: How to Disable the “Sync” Button in Document Library?