Requirement: Add external users to Microsoft 365 group.
How to Add Guest User to Microsoft 365 Group?
One of the great benefits of Microsoft 365 Groups is that you can add external users to the group, allowing them to collaborate on projects or files with everyone in the group. However, adding an external user can be a little tricky if you’re not familiar with the process. If you are a Microsoft 365 administrator, there may be times when you need to add an external user to a group. In this blog post, we’ll walk you through how to add an external user to a Microsoft 365 Group.
Step 1: Enable External Users for Microsoft 365 Groups:
Before adding a guest user to Microsoft 365 Groups, You have to make sure external users are allowed in the Office 365 groups. Here is how to enable external users or guest users for Office 365 groups.
- Login to Microsoft 365 admin center
- From the left navigation pane, expand Settings >> Click on Org settings.
- In the list, click on Microsoft 365 Groups.
- Ensure that the Let group owners add people outside your organization to Microsoft 365 Groups as guests and Let guest group members access group content check boxes are both checked.
- If you made changes, click Save changes.
Once enabled external users for Microsoft 365 groups, adding an external user is a quick and easy process that can be done from within Outlook (Not from the Office 365 admin center!)
Step 2: Add guest user to Microsoft 365 group
Here are the steps for adding a guest to an Office 365 Group:
- Sign in to your Office 365 portal, https://www.office.com.
- Click the waffle in the top-left corner of your screen >> Go to Outlook.
- Expand the “Groups” from the left navigation tree >> Click the Office 365 Group you want to add guest user.
- Click the “Add members” link to add one or more guests to the group.
- Enter an email address for the guest and press Enter. Add additional guests if necessary, and then click Save.
This allows people who are outside your organization to participate in the group. You can add external users by their email addresses. You can add corporate email addresses or Gmail/Yahoo/Outlook/any valid addresses. When you add an external user, they receive an email invitation to join the group. They can then accept the invitation and join the group.
You can also add external users to Microsoft 365 group using PowerShell. Here is my other article: How to Add Members to Office 365 Group using PowerShell?