Requirement: Add global navigation in modern SharePoint Online
How to Create Global Navigation in SharePoint Online?
You may probably know that there is no global navigation in SharePoint Online. This can be a bit confusing if you are working with multiple site collections, as you have to navigate back and forth to access different sites. Luckily, we have “App Bar”, – The latest addition introduced to Microsoft Sharepoint Online which provides quick access to Sites, Files, News, and other commonly used features. In this blog post, we will take a look at how to use the App Bar in Sharepoint Online to create global navigation across site collections to provide a consistent navigation experience.
You can enable global navigation in SharePoint Online in a few simple steps. This will give your users an easy way to navigate between sites within your organization. Plus, it’s a great way to improve the usability of your intranet.
- You have Home site configured in SharePoint Online – Getting Started with Home Site in SharePoint Online
- You have “App Bar” feature enabled – How to Enable or Disable the App Bar in SharePoint Online?
Add global navigation in SharePoint Online using Home site and App Bar
By default, the global navigation is not enabled in the App bar. In this post, we will show you how to create global navigation in SharePoint Online using App Bar!
- Login to your “Home Site” (You can find your home site/configure home site from Admin Center >> Settings >> Home Site).
- From the Home site, Click the Settings icon, then “Global Navigation” (It takes a moment to get this menu item, If you have just configured home site!).
- Turn on the “Enable global navigation”, Optionally, You can add a custom image for Home Icon on the app bar.
- Configure the links for global navigation by clicking “Edit Global Navigation”. You can add links/sub-links or labels with most important sites in your environment.
- Set the “Navigation Source” to “Hub or global Navigation”. Hit save to commit all your changes.
This replaces the default Home icon (linked to the SharePoint Online Start page) with the “Global Navigation”. Here are the before and after screenshots:
App bar Home Icon Without Global Navigation – Linking to the SharePoint Online start page (https://YourDomain.sharepoint.com/_layouts/15/sharepoint.aspx):
With Global Navigation replaced the Home:
Microsoft Documentation: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/viva/connections/sharepoint-app-bar