Requirement: Add User to an Office 365 Group Site.
How to Add Members to Office 365 Group Connected SharePoint Site?
There are two ways you can add users to the Office 365 group connected SharePoint Online sites:
- Option 1: You add them to Office 365 group so that they get permission to the SharePoint Online site (and of course, all other connected artifacts!)
- Option 2: You add them to the SharePoint Online site alone without adding them to Office 365 Group.
SharePoint Online: Add Members to an Office 365 Group Site
By default, Office 365 group associated SharePoint Online site permissions are configured with the associated Office 365 group. E.g. “HR Members” group is added to members with edit permissions in the SharePoint site. So, adding users to the associated Office 365 group automatically gains permission to the respective SharePoint Online site. To add members to an Office 365 Group Site by adding them into the group, follow these steps:
- Login to your SharePoint Online site >> Click on the Members link in the top right corner.
- Click on the “Add members” button in the Group membership panel.
- Enter the User name in the Add members page and click on “Save”
- Now, you can click on the little drop-down arrow to set the permission for the user – Member or Owner.
If you want to add a member or owner to Office 365 group using PowerShell, use:
- How to Add Members to Office 365 Group using PowerShell?
- How to Add Owner to Office 365 Group using PowerShell?
Add User to SharePoint Online Site without Adding them to Office 365 Group
Adding users to Office 365 group grants them access to all underlying objects such as Email, Teams, Planner, etc. However, you may want to grant access only to the SharePoint site at times:
- Click on “Settings” gear and then the “Site permissions” link >> Click on the “Invite people” button and then choose the “Share site only” menu item.
- Enter the User name, Pick the permission level such as “Edit”, select the “Send email” check box per your requirement and then click on the “Add” button to add the user to the site.
To add users to the SharePoint Online site using PowerShell, use: How to Add User to SharePoint Online using PowerShell?