Requirement: In a custom SharePoint 2013 list, User’s requirement is to validate a required field based on another field’s value.
E.g. In a “Project Cost” list, the user must fill “Budget Amount” field value if “Budget Approved” field’s value is set to “True”.
How to make a field required based on another value in SharePoint?
Here is how to implement a required field validation based on other column’s value in SharePoint 2013.
- Head on the List Settings
- Click on “Validation Settings” under “General Settings”
- Enter the validation formula as: =IF([Budget Approved?]=TRUE,IF([Budget Amount]=””,FALSE,TRUE),TRUE)
- Enter the user (error) message accordingly. I’ve entered “If Budget is approved, you must specify the value of Budget Amount!”.
- Click “OK” to save your changes