We had a requirement to copy a few web part pages from the staging environment to production. Achieved it with the “Content Deployment Wizard” tool. However, copied pages gave this error message:
“This page is not using a valid page layout. To correct the problem, edit page settings and select a valid page layout.”
The root cause of the problem is: Page layout URLs are hard-coded in the publishing/web part pages. When you copy/move them from one site to another (or during export-import).
The solution is: You’ll have to update it with a valid page layout. Here is the easiest way.
- Open your site in SharePoint designer, Navigate to the library (usually: Pages), Right-click on your copied page, and choose “Detach from page layout”
- Now, again right-click on the page and choose “Reattach to Page Layout”. Ignore any error it throws.
This should fix your problem. If you have a bunch of files to update the page layout, You can use PowerShell. Here is my PowerShell script to update the page layout property: How to Change Page Layout in SharePoint 2013 using PowerShell?
Fix “This page is not using a valid page layout. To correct the problem, edit page settings and select a valid page layout.” Error in SharePoint Online
To fix this issue in SharePoint Online,
- Log into your SharePoint Online site as a site collection Administrator
- Browse to Content and Structure from site settings (Shortcut: /_layouts/sitemanager.aspx)
- Open the Pages library >> Select the page that is giving an error > Click on the “Edit page settings” from the context menu.
- Select the (Welcome Page) Blank Web Part Page layout >> Click on OK